Friday, April 1, 2011

Adventures in Breastfeeding

We have been breastfeeding for the last 4 weeks quite successfully. I read a lot before Mia was born to prepare myself. As I have said before I'm really committed to breastfeeding, I even watched videos on YouTube such as this one.

I also read the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by the La Lache League. Overall the book was very helpful and informative. If you are not planning an all natural, at home birth you will probably want to skip the section on birthing. It really demonized hospitals and traditional medicine which I found offensive since that was the route I had chosen. Other than that I found the book worth the money as far as being informative and giving a realistic view of what to expect while nursing. The book is available on Amazon but I bought mine from Wal-Mart and had it shipped free "site to store."

Mia has been an excellent nurser. From the first she understood what to do. Since she was so small we did have a hard time with latching thanks to my big boobs and her tiny mouth. We just had to find a holding technique that worked for us (the football) until she grew.

I have had a hard time the last two weeks keeping up with her nursing. She has grown a lot already and I am sure she is just getting ready to grow more. To be honest it has been really hard on my boobs. They have become incredibly sore. I find that hot showers help a lot but also there are gel nursing pads you can buy and refrigerate that also provide amazing relief.

I have tried both the Medela Tender Care Hydrogel Pads and the Lansinoh Soothies Gel Pads. The Lansinohs are more expensive but worth the price to me. The packaging says they are reusable from up to 72 hrs but that I believe is if you wear them like a normal nursing pad. I used a pair for a full week because I would only wear them until my body heat warmed them, about 5 minutes at a time. This made the price tag a little more reasonable. Both retail for about $10 but with the Medela version you get 2 pairs instead of only one.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...