Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Great Cloth Diapering Adventure: Renewed Commitment

She likes pulling everything out of her diaper bag. Ugh!
Over the last few months we have gradually started using only disposable diapers. This has been very disappointing to me. I've found that ordering from Amazon makes it affordable but I've never given up on cloth. It's what I want to use. It's funny because after all the research I had done I still didn't know what to do with the diapers in the mean time. I'm talking about that in-between used and being cleaned time. I knew I needed a diaper pail but I didn't really know what that meant. This made it hard trying to explain to other people (i.e. my husband) what to do once he had changed a diaper.

Now, that I am going to be home full time I decided it was time to get serious about this. I spent about a hour researching other people's solution to the diaper pail issue on youtube. After several videos I decided that all I needed was a 13 gallon trash can and some good pail liners. Why had I never thought about this before? I have no idea. It was such an epiphany moment. I went right away to amazon and ordered two liners and a wet/dry bag. I am going to try the planet wise brand since several of the reviews on youtube suggested it. I will probably do a review after using the products for a few weeks.

I am excited to get back to basics though! I have been doing so much cleaning and organizing around the house since I stopped working. I feel like I might actually get things under control. Gasp! Can you believe it?

2 comments:

  1. Kristin suggested Planetwise to me when Andrew was still in diapers and I've been using them while we are out. They are great! I haven't thrown them in the dryer because I read somewhere that it can mess up the PUL. I dunno. But line drying has worked for me. We have a cheapo washable pail liner as well and it works. I keep poopy diapers separate from just wet ones and run the poopy ones on a prewash before throwing wet ones in. It is SO much easier when you have a system down that works. So happy with our system now. Not sure how it's going to work while travelling starting Dec. Let me know any tips YOU have to share. Good luck on your renewed commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched a video on youtube about a family who used cloth on their vacation. They had access to washers/dryers like you will while you travel so their solution might work for y'all. They just packed all their diapers along with a size large planet wise wet bag. The wet bag can hold 16-17 diapers. If you want to know more, check her video out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7KjyLiiH0Y I hope that helps! We don't get out much so I don't have a lot of experience with traveling just yet.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...