Friday, January 7, 2011

Appointment with Dr. Lyon

Well, actually it was more of an appointment with his office b/c I never actually saw Dr. Lyon. When I arrived I first met with his nurse and learned to use the blood sugar monitor. I've seen one in use before but I didn't realize I was going to have to stab myself with a needle this much (6-8 times daily.) It is all high tech though and stores the info for me so I don't have to keep a log. It can just be plugged into the computer and the information can be downloaded. I love less paperwork. :)

After meeting with the nurse I met with the dietitian. It's going to be a serious life change and if I was only going to continue it for 2 1/2 months I would be majorly annoyed. I have to follow a system that basically is like counting calories but it actually counts and manages grams of carbs. I hate math. I hate having to plan ahead for everything. Of course the more I think about it I guess I should get used to it. Babies don't really allow for spontaneity.

The hardest part really has been the needle thing. I did it for the first time this morning and I had to poke myself 3 times until I got the setting to poke deep enough that I got enough blood on the strip to be read. That was about an hour and a half ago so I get to do it again in half an hour. Oh well, at least I only have to continue the monitoring for 2 1/2 months. I meet with Dr. Lyon on the 12th to go over my numbers. I am crossing my fingers my numbers will be low enough not to require farther action. That was not the case for the first reading of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...